How to Read Aloud
Reading to children is fun! Here are a few tips to get the most out of the experience:
- Introduce yourself, and have a chat with your new buddy. See if you can find three things that are the same between you both: pets, favorite food, favorite game - it can be anything!
- Select a book with your buddy. Discuss the cover, and together try and guess what the story will be about.
- Point out the author and illustrator. Make sure your buddy knows the title of your book.
- Read with enthusiasm! Ask questions about what you see on the page. Remember, young children can get wriggly. Your buddy mak be tired after a long day. It is okay to chat together as you read.
- If your buddy really doesn't like the book go and pick out another one!
- After the story(ies) you and your buddy can draw a picture of something you remember from the book. Sign your name and give your picture to your buddy to bring home.
- Make sure your buddy puts the book(s) in his/her backpack. It is to bring home and keep!
- After we finish reading it will be time for popcorn! Make sure you wash your hands before and after the visit, and that your hands are clean before you eat popcorn. We will have antiseptic wipes.
Everyone MUST stop by the Learning Commons and write a note to your buddy within 1 week of the visit! Letter box is by Dr. Cicchetti's desk : )